Moving can be messy, stressful, and tedious. Unfortunately, between the planning, packing, and trekking, many things can go wrong. There are plenty of blogs and articles about how to tackle a move, full of moving tips, suggestions, and ideas for you to follow. Your cross country movers at Graebel Van Lines® have compiled a short list to help you in avoiding mistakes when moving.
- Not organizing your things to perfection. One of the easiest ways to organize your boxes is into rooms. Kid’s room, master bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, office, etc. One of the best ways to do this is by color-coding with stickers. Each room can have its very own color.
- Not labeling what is on the inside. Of course, having the color on the box is very helpful, but also labeling what is on the inside is vital to your organization process. It takes a lot of time to have to open a box to see what is inside. Be specific with your labels so you can find things easily when it comes time to unpack.
- Not getting the proper help. Because moving is so overwhelming, and there is so much to do from packing and organizing, accepting help can make the job easier. Usually when people offer help, it is because they genuinely would like to help.
- Packing too many things from your kitchen, like liquids and perishable food items. Oils, salad dressings, and other things that can spill and seep are not smart to pack, especially in cardboard boxes. It may be better for you to toss anything that has a possibility of leaking or spilling throughout the move.
- Not using moving equipment. Another one of the ways you can go about avoiding mistakes when moving is by using the proper equipment. Whether you have reputable cross country movers or you are doing it yourself, you need to be using adequate equipment. This will make moving much easier.
- Not keeping track of all of your small things. Smaller items can so easily become lost. When taking things apart, your cross country movers suggest putting the screws, nuts, bolts, and other small pieces into a Ziploc bag and keep all of the parts in the same box. This way, all of the pieces are together when it comes time to reassemble things.
- Not having a plan. You will continue avoiding mistakes when moving if you have a moving plan. If you follow the six steps above, you are already on the way to creating a solid foundation to work with when moving.
Your cross country movers at Graebel Van Lines® are here to help you in avoid mistakes when moving, and beyond. Contact us today!