The key to a successful office move is to have a detailed and outlined course of action that coordinates between corporate figures, employees, and the office movers. Graebel Moving has over six decades of experience completing large-scale office moves and has the following free, office moving checklist for you to use to organize your move.
- Determine a time frame for your office move
- Conduct an employee census on office morale regarding the move, items wanted in new location, ideal square footage.
- Review proposed locations
- Create floor plans for each location that outlines work stations, conference rooms, and other support spaces.
- Create an office moving budget
- Assess current IT structure so that it can be mimicked at new office location.
- Take inventory of all IT equipment and support applications.
- Evaluate estimated IT downtime that will occur during the office move
- Establish power, AC, ventilation, network and equipment positioning requirements for the new office location.
- Work out the logistics for getting your office up and running immediately.
- Make sure that all technological service providers have been contacted with the new location details and office moving timeline.
- Get phone system switched over to new location
- Transfer phone numbers
- Decide if any specialty areas need additional security during the entire office moving process.
Internal communication plan for employees during an office move should include:
- Moving date/timeline
- New building rules and information
- Parking procedures, if any.
- Revised telephone and fax numbers, if not transferred.
- Required HR postings
- Coordinate plans for conducting external communications with suppliers, customers, service providers, vendors, and business partners.
Change address and phone number on all marketing efforts:
- Business cards
- Website information
- Postal service
- All advertising and directory listings
- Designate department move coordinators
- Determine building logistics for moving out of current location and moving into new office location.
- Schedule service elevator access and time slot at either point of the office move, if necessary.
- Schedule loading and unloading docks, if needed.
- Check to see if any special moving permits are needed for your move; may depend on location, industry, and materials being moved.
- Even when hiring a full-service office moving company, have a member of IT on site during the disconnect and reconnect to ensure proper handling of equipment, software, hardware, and installation of network.
- Develop plan for protection of confidential information
- Develop a packing plan for each department/section.
- If you are using an office moving company, any specialty packing instructions should be drafted for them to follow.
- Make sure that all necessary moving materials have been collected prior to moving day.
- Make sure that everything has been packed properly and complete inventory has been taken.
Vendors to consider hiring
- Office Moving Company
- Telephone/data (POTS, T-1, ISDN, DSL)
- Security System Providers